I am officially pregnant!!

Our midwife Karin Kearns came this past Saturday. We got to fill out mundane paperwork, then she drew my blood, did a urine test checking for protein or some other such nonsense, and most importantly we got to listen to the baby's heartbeat!!! Both David and I were amazed that a small handheld device can pick up a tiny little heartbeat that belongs to a tiny little child whom is only a couple of inches long! I am still amazed when I think about it. It was exhilerating to hear the little beano's frenzied heartbeat as it was the first official confirmation of my pregnancy and because it is a sign of life, a sign of something that is much more grand than I!

On another note, I woke up this morning at 7 o'clock and went out onto our back sunroom to do my devotions when I was greeted with the smell of a fire. The smell wasn't very strong, so I just figured it was someone down the street burning something. At 8:30 I left the house to run some errands and noticed that the air was still tinged with smoke; it looked like a light fog but smelled like smoke. As the morning went on the smoke got worse to the point that at midmorning it seemed like we had a really persistant thick fog. I thought for sure something local had happened, but heard on the radio that the smoke was actually coming from wildfires in Georgia and the panhandle of Florida. Later on there were also reports that the smoke didn't come from those wildfires at all, but from something that had happened in Orlando. Either way, I was blown away by how something that had happened at least 100 miles away could so heavily affect us. I have been sick all day with sinus problems as a result of the smoke. Can you imagine that? Something that was sparked that far from where I live made me sick... It just goes to show that one person can do one thing, and that one thing and one person can affect hundreds, thousands of people! Now, if it just were a positive thing...

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

5 comments:

Erin said...

Glad to see a second post....now if we could just get a picture of your belly..........

Roy Johnson said...

Forget the pictures of the belly . . . give us pictures of the little bean growing in the belly! If you can't do that, give us more pictures of Henry, or more pictures of David wearing a cape and flying around the backyard.

Unknown said...

Eva and David,

I would have responded to the initial creation of your blog but realized I had to have one of my own or have an account of some sort. This old fashioned mother has a hard time processing all this "stuff," however, I'm glad I can learn of your experience as new parents as you watch this little "bean-o" grow in the womb. It really is an amazing system God has established for bringing new life into the world!

There's nothing more radiant than seeing a pregnant woman - I don't know why, but they're always beautiful. It's hard for me to believe my middle daughter, who said at one time, she was never going to have children, is now expecting her first. I wish I were closer in miles to experience this wonder with you and to share with you motherly words of wisdom, whispering them in your ear and bouncing a chuckle here and there.

Jill said...

hey eva --

i agree with erin. get some belly pics up here!!!

jill

Eva said...

Belly pictures will ensue. I keep forgetting to ask David.